Compensation Claims Against Police
Have you been involved in a police-related accident that wasn’t your fault? If so you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. Talk to us about assault by Police Officer claims and other police-related claims.
Circumstances for personal injury claims
The police force has a duty to enforce the law and protect the general public. However, police officers are not above the law and they have been known to overstep their boundaries and legal privileges. This has the potential to cause personal injury in some cases, e.g.:
- Where you have been deliberately assaulted by a police officer
- You were injured after being involved in a road traffic accident with a police officer
- When a police officer uses an inappropriate level of force
What should I do following my Assault By Police Officer or other police related claim?
If you are a victim of personal injury caused by the police it is crucial that you speak to a specialist lawyer as soon as possible. This can be a particularly daunting prospect, but our team of expert personal injury solicitors will be able to assess your incident and evaluate whether you have a valid claim.
In most cases, we will be able to operate on a no win no fee basis when pursuing your claim.ELIGIBILITY CHECKER
There are various levels of compensation that you could be awarded as a result of your claim, including:
- Basic damages for pain and suffering – this compensates you for the personal injury that you have suffered.
- Financial losses – this will take into account any past and future financial losses incurred as a result of your injury
- Aggravated damages – damages for injured feelings (will not be less than £1,000)
- Exemplary damages – designed to punish the misconduct of an officer who has acted in an arbitrary, oppressive or unconstitutional manner (will not be less than £5,500)
The compensation that you receive will be largely dependent on the specific circumstances of your claim.
Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority
If you are unable to pursue a personal injury claim, a claim may be able to be brought to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority where injuries have been suffered as a result of a crime of violence, for example where you have been deliberately assaulted.
These claims must be submitted within two years of the date that the incident took place. The level of compensation awarded by the authority will depend on the injuries sustained and is determined by a Tariff Scheme.
Assault By Police Officer? Start your claim today.
Our experts at Jefferies Solicitors are well experienced in dealing with a range of different case types. We understand how traumatic sustaining an injury can be and so we want to make the process of claiming compensation as stress-free as possible. No matter exactly where you are located, we can help process your case.
To learn more and to discuss your potential claim in confidence, contact our team on 0800 342 3206. Alternatively, complete our online contact form to arrange an initial no-obligation telephone consultation with a member of our expert team.