Contact or call us for free on 0800 342 3206
We'll talk through the details of your claim
Don't worry, we'll take care of everything
We'll work hard to secure you the compensation you deserve

Claiming For An Industrial Illness 

The Workers Compensation Act 1979 helps those who have been afflicted by an industrial disease due to conditions in their workplace. It allows for a lump sum to be paid by the government to those who have been impacted by poor conditions in the workplace.

The Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979 allows you to be compensation by the government if you have developed an industrial disease in the workplace.   

Contact us today on 0800 342 3206 or through our online form. 

About The Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979 

You must be on Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) to make a claim for compensation under this claim. If you want to make a claim under this act, you must make your claim within twelve months of being placed in IDBB. Applications made after this 12 months’ time limit will only be considered in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the government. 

The industrial diseases that the Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979 apply to include:  

  • Diffuse mesothelioma.  
  • Pneumoconiosis. 
  • Byssinosis.   
  • Bilateral diffuse pleural thickening. 
  • Primary carcinoma of the lung when accompanied by asbestosis or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening.   

Conditions For Claiming Under The Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979 

This list of illnesses are set out by the government in the Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979. To find out more about the specific diseases that you can claim for under this act, visit the government websiteThey outline all the specific conditions that you have to meet in order to claim under this scheme. 

Aside from your illness, there are also certain other conditions that you have to meet in order to be able to claim. You must meet the following criteria:  

  • Your dust-related disease must have been caused by the conditions of your employment.   
  • You can’t or haven’t taken civil action against your employer because they have stopped trading.   
  • You have not brought a court action or received compensation from an employer in respect of the disease.   
  • The work which caused your lung disease occurred more than 20 years ago.  

You may also be able to make a claim if you’re the dependant of someone who suffered from a dust-related disease who has subsequently died. You must claim within twelve months of their death if this is the case.   

To make a claim under this act, you normally have to apply through your local Jobcentre Plus. Jefferies Solicitors can answer any other questions that you might have and can help you with the legal process. 

The level of payment that you will earn under this scheme is determined by your age and the percentage of disability benefit you receive through your IIBD. However, people who are suffering from mesothelioma or lung cancer are paid 100% of the possible compensation awarded due to the severity of these illnesses. 


Contact Jefferies Solicitors 

Our experts at Jefferies Solicitors are well experienced in dealing with a range of different case types. We understand how traumatic sustaining an injury or developing an illness can be and so we want to make the process of claiming compensation as stress-free as possible. No matter exactly where you are located throughout England and Wales, we can help you. 

At first, we will need some initial details about the specifics of your injuries and how this has impacted your life. Contact us today on 0800 342 3206 or through our online form to get started. A member of our team will quickly be in touch to discuss your case, confidentiality is ensured with all our clients.