Call us free on0800 342 3206

We can help…

Please call us on 0800 342 3206 or fill in the form below and we’ll do the rest.

I agree to be contacted by Jefferies Solicitors

We will only use your personal information provided here to deal with your enquiry. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

1
Contact or call us for free on 0800 342 3206
2
We'll talk through the details of your claim
3
Don't worry, we'll take care of everything
4
We'll work hard to secure you the compensation you deserve

Stillbirth Compensation Claims

The death of a newborn is extremely distressing in any case. It can be even more upsetting if the death was due to negligence or mismanagement of the birth.

At Jefferies Solicitors, our experts understand the fragile nature of these types of claims. They have a wide range of experience helping families to deal with the tragic circumstances surrounding stillbirth and neonatal death. Making a claim can help you and your family to get some answers, as well as give you some breathing space during this emotionally turbulent period.

For a free initial discussion with a member of our friendly team please call 0800 342 3206 or contact us online via our website.

Stillbirth and neonatal death

The death of a baby before or during birth, following twenty-four weeks of pregnancy is known as stillbirth. Sadly, 1 out of every 225 births in the UK ends in stillbirth.

Neonatal death refers to a baby that has passed away within the first 28 days of life.

What causes stillbirth and neonatal death?

Approximately 60 per cent of neonatal deaths and stillbirths are inexplicable. In some cases, it may have been possible for preventative action to have been taken. These cases account for the remaining 40 per cent and are generally attributed to:

  • Infection
  • Twins incorrectly diagnosed
  • Umbilical cord problems
  • Insufficient blood supply through the placenta
  • Placental abruption (where the placenta separates early from the uterus)
  • Improper monitoring of the baby before or after birth
  • Pre-eclampsia (a condition characterised by high blood pressure and protein in the urine of the mother)
  • Poor resuscitation or an undiagnosed or untreated infection in the neonatal period
  • Gestational diabetes

These cases are not necessarily fatal and stillbirth can sometimes result because a physician misses symptoms or fails to offer the correct treatment to the mother and baby. This is a prime example of clinical negligence.

Parents are entitled to claim compensation for their suffering, in cases where negligence has taken place. A solicitor can help parents to find out exactly what mistakes were made and bring them a degree of closure.

Stillbirth compensation claims

You could be entitled to claim compensation for a stillbirth if a medical professional:

  • Failed to treat your symptoms correctly or soon enough
  • Failed to refer you to a consultant if your tests were unusual
  • Didn’t give you regular check-ups and tests
  • Missed symptoms or misinterpreted results

Pursuing a claim will hold medical professionals accountable for their negligence and, more importantly, will help to bring parents a sense of closure as they come to terms with what has happened.

Claiming for the effects of stillbirth or neonatal death

It is normal for the entire family to be affected by such a traumatic event. The long-term burden on the mental health of people in the family can lead to conditions such as depression and post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD). A compensation claim for a stillbirth will take this psychological aspect into account and may give you the financial means to access specialist services, such as therapy and counselling.

A successful claim may also be able to recover the costs of:

  • Childcare costs
  • Funeral costs
  • Loss of earnings following time off work
  • Travelling to and from medical appointments

At Jefferies Solicitors, we’re here to support you

At Jefferies Solicitors, we have a team of experts who have experience dealing with delicate claims. We understand that making a claim can be extremely difficult when you’re dealing with emotional trauma following a stillbirth or neonatal death. Our team will endeavour to guide you through the legal process every step of the way to help you seek justice and alleviate any financial burdens you might have.

Contact us on 0800 342 3206 today or get in touch with our friendly team online via our website.

We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we assume that you consent to our use of cookies on this device. You can change your cookie settings at any time but if you do, you may lose some functionality on our website. More information can be found in our Cookie Info and Privacy Policy.