In large supermarkets such as Asda, accidents are not uncommon. No one goes to Asda expecting to get hurt, but unfortunately, sometimes accidents occur. Sometimes, these accidents result in injuries that can have a significant impact on an individual’s day-to-day life.
If you have had an accident while shopping in Asda, you may be able to claim compensation. To find out more, call our specialist injury solicitors on 0800 342 3206 or get in touch online.
Accidents in Asda Compensation Claims
From time to time, accidents in Asda cannot be prevented and no one is to blame. However, there are occasions when someone becomes injured because of the actions or negligence of Asda or another customer.
Under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957, Asda is legally obligated to ensure that its supermarkets are ‘reasonably safe for visitors’ and free from hazards that could potentially cause an accident. If it fails in its duty and you sustain an injury in an Asda supermarket or car park, you may be able to claim compensation. Equally, if your injury was caused by the actions of another customer you may also be able to claim.
Causes of accidents in Asda
Some of the most common causes of accidents at Asda include:
- Spillages or wet floors
- Accidents in the store car park
- Items falling off shelves
- Trips or falls caused by stray items or trolleys
Slipped in Asda?
One of the most common types of accidents that occur in Asda are slips caused by spilt food or drink. An item may have been dropped or fallen off a shelf and not cleaned up within a reasonable timeframe, creating a hazard for customers and staff. Asda employees should be trained to deal with spillages like this. They should clean them up as soon as possible and erect a wet floor sign to alert customers.
If you have slipped in Asda and there were no wet floor signs to warn you about the spillage that caused your injury, you are likely to have a claim.
Asda accidents at work
If you are an Asda employee, the company has a duty of care to look after you. Whether you work in-store, in a warehouse or at head office, your manager should make sure that you are properly trained. They should also make sure that they provide you with the correct personal protective equipment (PPE) if appropriate.
If they have failed to do either of these things and you become injured, you may have a valid accident at work claim against Asda.
What to do if you are injured in Asda
If you are injured while shopping in or while working for Asda, you should take the following steps, especially if you are considering making a claim.
- Report your accident as soon as possible. Tell a member of staff that you have been injured and ask them to record it in the store accident book. If you have been injured while working for Asda, make sure you report your accident to your employer so that your accident is recorded.
- Seek medical attention from your GP or visit local A&E to ensure that your injuries are properly assessed and treated.
- Take photos of the accident scene. If you have been injured in-store by defective equipment or have tripped or fallen, photos can be really useful. These photos will be really useful in helping a solicitor to assess the merits of your claim. They might also be important evidence later on in your case.
- Speak to anyone who saw your accident and make a note of their names and contact details. They may be able to provide a witness statement to help strengthen your claim later down the line.
- Contact a personal injury solicitor with experience in dealing with supermarket accident claims. You have just three years from the date of your accident in which to make a claim. Because of this, it is essential you start the legal process as soon as possible. If you would like to claim on behalf of a child, this three-year timeframe begins on the date of their eighteenth birthday.
Making a claim against Asda with Jefferies
To find out if you have a valid claim or to learn more about the legal process involved in making a claim, you should speak to a solicitor who has experience in this area.
For more than 25 years, Jefferies Solicitors have helped people who have become injured following supermarket slips, including people who have slipped in Asda. We usually work on a no win, no win basis. This means there is no financial risk to you in the event that your claim is unsuccessful.
Our friendly team of experts are ready to help you. Call us on 0800 342 3206 or get in touch online today.