Have you been injured while visiting or working in a Starbucks coffee shop? If you have been hurt at Starbucks through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.
For more than 25 years, our specialist injury lawyers have helped people who have been injured as a result of the actions or negligence of others. Our team are ready to help you.
To find out if you have a valid claim, call our friendly team on 0800 342 3206 or contact us online to request a call-back.
Starbucks Accident Claims
As a company, Starbucks is legally obligated to keep both its customers and employees safe while on its premises. Staff should be properly trained to safely handle hot drinks and food and deal with hazards that might increase the risk of injury such as spillages. If Starbucks has failed in its duty of care, accidents can occur.
Common accidents at Starbucks
Some of the more common incidents that occur in Starbucks and can result in injury include:
- Burns from hot drinks or food
Starbucks must ensure it is not selling food or drink that is too hot to consume and are serving this food and drink safely. For instance, a takeaway coffee cup should always have a protective outer sleeve and a warning label alerting customers to the risk posed by the hot liquid.
- Slips on wet floors
Spillages, leaking appliances, mopping or outside weather conditions can all result in wet floors inside a Starbucks coffee shop. Wet floors should be attended to and a wet floor sign erected as soon as possible to reduce the risk of injury. If you slip on a wet floor in Starbucks in the absence of a wet floor sign as a result of the negligence of staff, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Food poisoning
Food poisoning can occur as a result of undercooked or incorrectly stored food or drink. While food poisoning symptoms often resolve within a day or two, in some cases, there can be serious complications. If you have contracted food poisoning after eating or drinking at Starbucks you may be able to make a claim.
- Injuries caused by faulty chairs, tables or other furniture
Broken or damaged seating can sometimes cause falls or injuries like cuts or lacerations. Starbucks should ensure that all the tables, chairs and other furniture are safe to be used by its customers. If they failed to do this and this causes you injury, you are legally entitled to seek compensation.
What to do if you are injured at Starbucks
If you are injured at Starbucks, you should take the following steps, especially if you are considering making a claim.
- Report your accident as soon as possible. Tell a member of staff that you have been injured and ask them to record it in the accident book.
- Seek medical attention from your GP or visit local A&E to ensure that your injuries are properly assessed and treated.
- Take photos of the accident scene. If you have been injured defective equipment or have tripped or fallen, photos can be really useful. These photos will be really useful in helping a specialist personal injury solicitor to assess the merits of your claim. They might also be important evidence later on in your case.
- Speak to anyone who saw your accident and make a note of their names and contact details. They may be able to provide a witness statement later down the line which might help strengthen your case.
- Contact an experienced personal injury solicitor. You have only three years from the date of your accident in which to make a claim. Because of this, it is essential you start the legal process as soon as possible. If you would like to claim on behalf of a child, this three-year timeframe begins on their eighteenth birthday.
Claiming for an accident at work at Starbucks
If you are a barista at Starbucks, in your day-to-day job you will regularly operate coffee machines and handle boiling hot liquids when preparing drinks for customers. You will also use hot food appliances to heat and prepare food. Legally, Starbucks must supply their baristas with proper training to ensure that they are able to carry out their duties and operate these appliances safely.
Baristas who have not undergone sufficient training, you will be at greater risk of accident and potential injury. If you have become injured at work as a result of insufficient training or supervision, you may be entitled to claim compensation for your injuries.
What to do if you become injured at work
If you are injured while working at Starbucks, you should inform your supervisor immediately. You should then seek medical attention, immediately if your injury is serious such as a burn or scald. It is important that your accident is recorded in the shop’s accident book.
Make a claim against Starbucks with Jefferies
If you have been injured through no fault of your own at Starbucks, either as a customer or employee, you are legally entitled to claim compensation for your injuries.
You may be able to recover other costs as part of a claim. For instance, if your injuries have resulted in you having to take time off work or incurring other expenses such as travel costs to and from medical appointments, you may be to claim back your loss of earnings or travel expenses. To learn more, you should speak to a specialist solicitor with experience in this area.
At Jefferies, our lawyers work on a no win, no fee basis. This means that when you instruct us, there is no financial risk involved in you making a claim. To get the ball rolling, please contact our experienced legal team on 0800 342 3206 or get in touch online to arrange a call-back at a convenient time for you.